[MUD-Dev] Fear of magic (was:Usability and interface)

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Thu Dec 11 18:56:44 CET 1997

On 09/12/97 at 01:04 PM, Vadim Tkachenko <vadimt at 4cs.com> said:
>coder at ibm.net wrote:
>> On 09/11/97 at 06:22 PM, "Jon A. Lambert" <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> said:
>> >On  9 Nov 97 at 11:00, Marian Griffith wrote:

>> One could champion the idea of reducing players to the level of
>> monsters/NPC's as part of the game definition...
>
>Why reducing?

Typically player characters are far more capable, better equipped, better
organised, have better resources, and better situated than NPC's.  I like
the ide of reversing as many of those counts as I can.

>Lets' consider:
>
>Q: What is a difference between a monster and NPC?
>A: None, except that NPC is apparently is able to talk and [pretend to]
>express other sign of intelligence (which presumes a different level of
>hostility, too).

How about a MUD where players are effectively on a par with mice, and the
NPC's are typically on a par with wolves, ferrets, eagles, foxes, badgers,
etc?

Why should NPC's have poorer equipment than PC's?  Why should they have
little to no command of tactics or strategy?  How about an NPC army
actually performing tactical maneuvers in attacking a town?  How about
supply chains for NPC's, including replacements, R&R, equipment, reserves,
info etc?  How about NPC populations which aggressively adapt to the
predations of the PC population in a best effort to survive and possibly
retaliate?

Nahh, lets make PC's the prey species, and NPC's the prime predators.

>Do you consider a dragon a monster or NPC? In according to fantasy books,
>dragons are highly intelligent and can talk many languages...

I don't make a definitional difference between NPC, mobile, and monster
for the purpose of MUDs.

>Conclusion: NPC == PC == monster, to some extent.

True.  As far as their manifestation in my world, and their base mechanics
are concerned, they are indentical, except that NPC's tend to be better
situated, better supplied, etc.

>All you need to do is just attach the different behavior control adapters
>- and then, a situation is possible when, say, admin is able to take
>control over some NPC/monster and RP it...

I won't comment on the RP sides, as its an area I have little interest in.
However, I do support taking over positions as previously discussed.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net