[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting the World]

Thu Dec 11 23:40:43 CET 1997

[Matt C:]

:Phenomenally annoying, and a reasonable solution, I suppose. Nothing to
:theoretically stop this happening on my game, except shops do not use such
:lists of inventory. Perhaps one problem would be when a player is in an
:'edit mode' such as the newsreader, though, hence I think I will remove
:players from IC concerns when they are doing this (completely remove them
:from the game).

If such activities can be explainable in character, then why not leave
the player in the game? I thought about that a bit in my system, since
the user can be off in an editor, composing a letter/bulletin or perhaps
writing code. While doing that, they can flip back to the main text and
graphics windows with the touch of function key. I view both as in-character
activities that lessen the character's ability to pay attention to the
world. A wizard composing a spell while standing in the middle of a
battlefield deserves to get sliced and diced.

If, however, the user interface doesn't allow flipping back to the normal
interaction mode, then yes, some kind of protection sounds good.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA