[MUD-Dev] Fear of magic (was:Usability and interface)

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Fri Dec 12 08:13:41 CET 1997

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997 coder at ibm.net wrote:
> On 09/12/97 at 01:04 PM, Vadim Tkachenko <vadimt at 4cs.com> said:
> >coder at ibm.net wrote:
>
> >> One could champion the idea of reducing players to the level of
> >> monsters/NPC's as part of the game definition...
> >
> >Why reducing?
>
> Typically player characters are far more capable, better equipped, better
> organised, have better resources, and better situated than NPC's.  I like
> the ide of reversing as many of those counts as I can.

Same here (as I said previously, raising NPCs, not reducing PCs). The
first step here is probably to make sure that PCs and NPCs are on what one
might call the same 'balance scale', and that they are sanely equipped
(your NPC knight should have the full plate, lance, shield, bastard sword
and armoured horse the PC one has!). The next you mentioned yourself - the
use of tactics in combat situations.

> >Lets' consider:
> >
> >Q: What is a difference between a monster and NPC?
> >A: None, except that NPC is apparently is able to talk and [pretend to]
> >express other sign of intelligence (which presumes a different level of
> >hostility, too).
>
> How about a MUD where players are effectively on a par with mice, and the
> NPC's are typically on a par with wolves, ferrets, eagles, foxes, badgers,
> etc?

Laf. This could be very fun infact. Playing a small creature which is
basically at the bottom of the virtual food chain.. this kinda happens to
my players (depending on their race) in some regions of the world which
are very dangerous.

> Why should NPC's have poorer equipment than PC's?  Why should they have

They shouldn't. This is the main motive behind my 'central equipment
repository' - a creator can elect to kit an NPC out in 'quality 20' (on a
scale of 100) knight equipment (standard), and the NPC will receive a
slightly randomized bundle of Knight-type equipment. This could be
Full-plate, a long shield, metal-tipped lance, warhorse in leather
covering, longsword, a main-gauche, a throwing knife and a crossbow, or
more, or less, depending on the quality and random factor. Said NPC in
said kit would cause a rather large inconvenient to PCs.

> little to no command of tactics or strategy?  How about an NPC army

You touched on this one and how to tackle it. Strangely lots of it is
common sense.

> actually performing tactical maneuvers in attacking a town?  How about

Heh, heh. I have NPCs who attack towns (with a semblence of tactical
thought). They will withdraw to missile range if a defence army comes out
to beat them, and stand seige (this affects travel in/out and supplies
inside the town). If they are able to get into the town, they will run
through it in ransack gangs, doing as much damage as possible. If they are
set to destroy the town, rather than just take it over, they will probably
set fire to it.

> supply chains for NPC's, including replacements, R&R, equipment, reserves,
> info etc?  How about NPC populations which aggressively adapt to the
> predations of the PC population in a best effort to survive and possibly
> retaliate?
>
> Nahh, lets make PC's the prey species, and NPC's the prime predators.

*cower*

> >Do you consider a dragon a monster or NPC? In according to fantasy books,
> >dragons are highly intelligent and can talk many languages...
>
> I don't make a definitional difference between NPC, mobile, and monster
> for the purpose of MUDs.

I do, in that PCs have a network connection associated. Beyond that..
nothing. Richard Woolcock(?)'s 'MonsterMUD' comments were fascinating
indeed.

> >Conclusion: NPC == PC == monster, to some extent.
>
> True.  As far as their manifestation in my world, and their base mechanics
> are concerned, they are indentical, except that NPC's tend to be better
> situated, better supplied, etc.

Heh. :)

[Snip]

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	ICQ: 5580107
"I shall never believe that God plays dice with the world." -Einstein