[MUD-Dev] Re: Less numbers, more roleplaying.

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Sat Dec 13 19:19:11 CET 1997

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997 coder at ibm.net wrote:
> On 11/12/97 at 12:38 PM, Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> said: >On
> Wed, 10 Dec 1997 coder at ibm.net wrote:
> >> On 27/11/97 at 11:28 AM, Richard Woolcock <KaVir at dial.pipex.com>

[Snip]

> >This is interesting (I seem to be saying that a lot!). Basically the
> >definition of 'dangerous' is not as trivial as it sounds by this
> >reasoning (which makes some sense).
>
> Quite.  Even more annoying is that the solutions change every time the
> curves change.  Given a system with percentage chances on blow, and other
> semi-random side-effects, the model needs to be re-evaluated every
> iteration for the optimal pattern.

Blech. Getting in over my mathematical depth here, but basically seems to
be veering somewhere near a chaotic system (a seemingly simple system
which shows very complicated behaviour?). At least, if random factors are
included?

> >This could probably be tackled by integration if you have a defined
> >formula, and wanted a rough assessment of the total 'danger' a target
> >offered. I intend to approach this by simplification, and by making NPCs
> >attack a random target. If this begins to present problems, I will weigh
> >the random variables by the *size* of targets - they'll swing at larger
> >things more often.
>
> Once I get a settled and semi-stable combat design and set of curves, I'll
> probably setup a basic simulator and run a few hundred million variations
> thru it on spare CPU cycles while I'm at work, tabulate the results, and
> slap that in a mini-DB in the game for NPC intelligences to access as
> "inherited knowledge".
>
> It could make for some truly nasty antagonists.  I don't even need to get
> real optimal solutions -- just a "near enough" along with correct
> selection of weapon/blow etc should be enough to translate minor fidos
> into feared killing machines.

Eep. This sounds astonishingly nasty.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	ICQ: 5580107
"I shall never believe that God plays dice with the world." -Einstein