[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Stephen Zepp zoran at enid.com
Sat Dec 13 19:54:01 CET 1997

--------------9280BE1626145C9C88FB0D7A

Richard Woolcock wrote:

> Adam Wiggins wrote:
> >
> > [Stephen Zepp:]
> > > I am wondering about the inconviencience of walking into a store and
> > > seeing 20 different sword descriptions, 100 pieces of armor, and 35
> > > types of helmets...NONE with names until I "name" them...don't get me
> > > wrong, I like the idea, but ( I may have missed it ), couldn't _most_
> > > text style interaction have some sort of "auto-naming" convention to
> > > keep you from having to name 150 objects in a room that you may never
> > > see again?
> >
> > You're confusing 'name' with description.  The situation you describe
> > should look like so:
> >
> >  ] n
> >  You enter Arms 'R' Us.
> >  This is a large, bare room.  On one wall are mounted quite a few different
> >  swords.  On another wall there is a myriad of armor.  On a third wall are
> >  several dozen helmets.
> >  Bubba the shopkeeper is standing here.
> >  ] look swords
> >  There seem to be around 20 different swords.  Most of them are typical
> >  longswords, but you notice two particularly rusty swords, three short-swords,
> >  two claymores, and a rapier.
> >  ] get short
> >  You get a shortsword from the wall.
> >  Bubba says, 'That's an excellent weapon for any use.  Sold to me by an older
> >   hobbit fellow younger today, he said it served him quite well.'
> >  ] examine short
> >  You take a close look at the shortsword.
> >  It weighs around six stones.  The blade is about three handsbreath long.
> >  The hilt is wrapped in leather.  Delicate paterns are etched into the
> >  well-worn blade.  It could use some sharpening.
> >  ]
> >  Bubba says, 'Only fifty coppers for that fine item.'
> >  ] name sword Sting
> >  You will now call the shortsword 'Sting'.
> >  ] l in purse
> >  You have three copper pieces.
> >  ] doh
> >  ] return short
> >  You return the shortsword to its spot on the wall.
>
> Out of interest, shouldn't that be "You return Sting to its spot on the wall"?
> That is what my code would do, if I wrote object-recognition in the same
> way as I have written player-recognition.  It would also prevent me typing
> 'return short' - I would have to type 'return sting' (although if I do ever
> decide to code object-recognition, I might well change that part of the code
> for objects).
>
> >  Bubba says, 'You'll regret giving up such a bargain, my friend..'
> >  ] l
> >  This is a large, bare room.  On one wall are mounted quite a few different
> >  swords, one of which you recognize as the shortsword Sting.  On another
> >  wall there is a myriad of armor.  On a third wall are several dozen helmets.
>
> I was thinking of doing something similar for groups of people - something like:
>
> "You see a large crowd of people, three of which you recognise as Bubba, Boffo
> [...]

make the recognition just a check against vision ( perception stat ) and how well you know them?

--------------9280BE1626145C9C88FB0D7A

begin:          vcard
fn:             Stephen Zepp
n:              Zepp;Stephen
org:            Lords of the Shadow ( telnet://soe.nuc.net:8888 )
email;internet: zoran at enid.com
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1