[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Sat Dec 13 21:20:48 CET 1997

On 13/12/97 at 08:30 PM, Ola Fosheim Gr=B0stad <olag at ifi.uio.no> said:
>Derrick Jones <gunther at online1.magnus1.com> wrote:
>>Personally, I'd make my selection, log _everything_ that player does fo=
r a
>>week or two (just to make sure), then invite the player to join the sta=
ff
>>after the logs had been thorougly reviewed.  Time consuming, but you'll
>>get a lot better view of your potential staffers this way.

>I find logging everything without warning to be rather immoral.  In my
>country it would most likely be a crime.  Respecting players privacy is
>for me an unbreakable rule.  In a commercial system this should be
>paramount.

If I can ever get the bandwidth problems solved, this will also not be an
issue for me.  Everything is logged.  This is a function of DB rollbacks.=
=20
A player will be able to select any object and follow it back thru time
and see everything that happened to that object, exactly as it happened,
exactly as if he were there at the time, or select a location, and see
everything that happened there, no matter how minor, exactly as it
happened back then.

There will be no more debates on who said or did what, when, to who or
how.  Just travel back in time and see exactly what did happen, in precis=
reproduction.  An unfailing, uncontrovertable, all-seeing, guaranteed
correct, spy.  Ya gotta love it.  Big Brother never had it so good.=20
Thought control is only a step away.

>(A nasty sideeffect is that rumours about admins snooping on players is
>likely to wreck player loyalty)

Yup.  A guided tour thru an exact replay of the contended scenes can be
convincing.

--=20
J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net