[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun Dec 14 13:49:00 CET 1997

On Tue 09 Dec, Sauron wrote:
> Stephen Zepp wrote:

[Stephan snipped the original remark to which he responded]

> > Hmm..I tend to disagree on this point.  Instead of ridicule, use diplomacy,
> > then force if required.  Again, if an orc walks in and slaughters Bree, a
> > war would start, neh?  Tightly designed reputation and diplomacy code will
> > help to 1) not allow a player that is this chaotic to ever get powerful
> > enough to actually perform an action like that, and
> > 2) if they do, their own "side" will do their damndest to eliminate the
> > threat to the current diplomatic status quo.

Elendor mush  (like most other mushes)  is primarily a roleplaying game.
There is conflict and combat there, in fact the conflict with the forces
of Mordor is the reason of the game.  The difference is that, unlike the
typical mud, combat is handled quite differently. Players roleplay their
battles  and in fact coordinate their plots and fights with the opposing
side.  There is what in a mud would be called pk,  but this is done with
respect for both sides and it will not be taken farther than either side
is comfortable with. In this light an orc raiding Bree is ridiculous, as
it would not be on e.g. mume (a tolkien based mud).

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey