[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user2.inficad.com
Sun Dec 14 15:53:02 CET 1997

[Richard Woolcock:]
> Adam Wiggins wrote:
> >  ] n
> >  You enter Arms 'R' Us.
> >  This is a large, bare room.  On one wall are mounted quite a few different
> >  swords.  On another wall there is a myriad of armor.  On a third wall are
> >  several dozen helmets.
> >  Bubba the shopkeeper is standing here.
> >  ] look swords
> >  There seem to be around 20 different swords.  Most of them are typical
> >  longswords, but you notice two particularly rusty swords, three short-swords,
> >  two claymores, and a rapier.
> >  ] get short
> >  You get a shortsword from the wall.
> >  Bubba says, 'That's an excellent weapon for any use.  Sold to me by an older
> >   hobbit fellow younger today, he said it served him quite well.'
> >  ] examine short
> >  You take a close look at the shortsword.
> >  It weighs around six stones.  The blade is about three handsbreath long.
> >  The hilt is wrapped in leather.  Delicate paterns are etched into the
> >  well-worn blade.  It could use some sharpening.
> >  ]
> >  Bubba says, 'Only fifty coppers for that fine item.'
> >  ] name sword Sting
> >  You will now call the shortsword 'Sting'.
> >  ] l in purse
> >  You have three copper pieces.
> >  ] doh
> >  ] return short
> >  You return the shortsword to its spot on the wall.
>
> Out of interest, shouldn't that be "You return Sting to its spot on the wall"?
> That is what my code would do, if I wrote object-recognition in the same
> way as I have written player-recognition.  It would also prevent me typing
> 'return short' - I would have to type 'return sting' (although if I do ever
> decide to code object-recognition, I might well change that part of the code
> for objects).

You are absoultely right.  That's a typo.

> >  Bubba says, 'You'll regret giving up such a bargain, my friend..'
> >  ] l
> >  This is a large, bare room.  On one wall are mounted quite a few different
> >  swords, one of which you recognize as the shortsword Sting.  On another
> >  wall there is a myriad of armor.  On a third wall are several dozen helmets.
>
> I was thinking of doing something similar for groups of people - something like:
>
> "You see a large crowd of people, three of which you recognise as Bubba, Boffo
>  and Biffo."
>
> The problem I can see is - if the crowd is really big, would I actually be ABLE
> to recognise everyone (or even anyone)?  What if you barely know them?  Could
> a thief (as in someone who had just robbed you, rather than thief class) hide
> in a crowd to escape the authorities?  Maybe you should have to push through a
> crowd in order to find someone?

Yeah, exactly.  We were talking about this in the context of grouping containers
a little while back (probably like a year ago, my sense of time on this list
is somewhat compressed).

In fact...we originally coded the whole name recognition thing (which was
one of the first major features we added to our mud two years ago) just
for people, to work like you mention above.  Later we realized that it works
perfectly without any modification on places and objects.  Ie:

There is a large crowd of people here.  You recognize Bubba among them.

There is a large pile of swords here.  You recognize Stormbringer among them.

There is a sprawling city here.  You recognize Moe's Tavern among the buildings.