[MUD-Dev] OT: Books

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 18 23:33:02 CET 1997

On 17 Dec 97 at 22:19, Maddy wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Matt Chatterley wrote:

I thought I'd throw some books on to the pile. Light 'em  up. :)

Favorite Authors/Books:

Sci-fi...
Phillip K. Dick - Masterful insight into the disturbing aspects of human
     behavior as only a true psychotic could. 'A Scanner Darkly', 'Ubik',
     'The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch', 'Do Androids Dream of Electric
     Sheep?' The movie "Screamers" comes closest of any of the movies in
     capturing the mood of his work, although it is still too bright.
Isaac Asimov - Foundation and Robot series - a truly bad writer but
     strangely addicting.
Arthur C. Clarke - especially the Rama series.
Stanislaw Lem - another writer of dark and disturbing sci-fi ala Dick,
     'Return from the Stars'.
George Orwell - 1984
Aldous Huxley - Brave New World
Ray Bradbury - 'I Sing the Body Electric', 'The Martian Chronicles'
H.G. Wells and Jules Verne - all of their stuff, esp. 'Empire of the Ants',
     '20000 Leagues Under the Sea'

Fantasy...
Fritz Lieber - Fafyrd and Grey Mouser series - see R.E. Howard
H.P. Lovecraft - Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
Robert E. Howard - Yes I really really enjoyed Conan and Kull, but it was
     many years ago.  I doubt I could read him now.
Stephen King - esp. 'Wizard and Glass' - In my opinion his writing is
     getting better and better.  The story within this story was quite
     excellent.  I hope he continues to do more of the fantasy genre.
Clive Barker - 'Weaveworld' and 'Imajica'
Jack Vance - 'The Dying Earth', others - Vance does an excellent job at
     presenting scenery to the reader with just enough detail to evoke
     images in the readers mind.  Though not enough detail that any two
     readers get the same image.  Vance would make a good builder. ;)
     BTW, The Dying Earth contains the root and essence of the AD&D
     magic system.
E.R. Eddings - The Worm Ouroboros - a much better epic than Tolkien.
The Master of the Five Magics - awful book but interesting magic system.
Poul Anderson - 'Three Hearts and Three Lions' - not too different
     conceptually from Twain's 'A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's
     Court' which is also a good read.
Frank Herbert - Dune - a well done fantasy epic
Homer - The Odyssey and Iliad - of course :)
Ovid - Metamorphoses

--
Jon A. Lambert

Nature comprehends the visible and invisible creatures of the whole
universe. What we call Nature especially, is the universal fire or
Anima Mundi, filling the whole system of the Universe, and therefore
is a Universal Agent, omnipresent, and endowed with an unerring instinct,
and manifests itself in fire and light. It is the First creature of
Divine Omnipotence.
-----