[MUD-Dev] You, the game of philosophy.

Sun Dec 21 23:01:14 CET 1997

"Jon A. Lambert" <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
[...]
>role-playing to define single-user games. (Would you believe that "Magic
>the Gathering", the card game, is sometime referred to as a role-playing
>game by it's fans? I couldn't)

I think the trouble with "role-playing" is that it has some kind of
intellectual status attached to it. That is, "playing a game" is equal
to wasting time, but "role-playing" "is" gaining insight, knowledge,
being creative, social etc.  Thus, anything that could be called
"role-playing" will be called so. :(

>"mostly" consentual - control of your character may be usurped or your
>storyline might be altered to events beyond your control.  Charm,

This is what I would have to go with.  If two way different groups are
interacting then you need the world to decide the outcome.

>difficult to run, although quite fun when done well.  I think a mud
>environment is more conducive to IC competition than forced
>cooperation.  Forms of "natural" cooperation should be strongly
>encourage by game systems. (cf. political & adventuring group
>threads).

I would go for a combined system.  I think of the group-level as an
author level.  That is, on the group level members try to find a
possible, believable, and possibly dramatic/artistic/funny storyline
they will try to realize.  But they would also interact socially (OOC)
on this level.  The acting itself is typically done on the userlevel.

>Adjudication - I believe that automated adjudication of combat,
>skill-use, magic, etc. is desireable.  OTOH, I prefer GM/storyteller
>adjudication of advancement and GM setup of major plotlines
>Big-plots as opposed to tiny-plots.

In my ideal system the GM would distribute resources to the groups of
authors based on whether or not they are creating interesting plots
that is enjoyable for other users (that is, not powerplaying).  I
guess one could call the GM "The Producer".  The environment would
execute the "laws of nature".  The GM isn't involved in the execution,
only in the distribution of resources.

>I prefer strong interaction with environmental systems.  Be they
>NPCs, economies, ecologies, etc.  That is players do not merely utilize
>objects as props as is common in some MUSH environments.  They must
>live within the parameters of the game environs.  This might also be
>considered to impact one's storyline adversely.

I agree.  But I would let users become mages or Gods or trolls or
insects instantly. (at least if they are known to be good actors).  If
a group decides to explore the impossible love relationship between an
old evil mage and a young fairy then they should be able to do so,
without a lot of (stupid) characterbuilding.

I realize that such a system would require the majority of the users
to be actors.  It should probably be 1st person POV and support voice
communication.

Ola.