[MUD-Dev] Mail from mud

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Mon Dec 22 13:27:59 CET 1997

Stephen Zepp wrote:

> Heyas...gonna ask for a little technical info here.  I would like to have my code
> be able to send a mail message to the player, using a stored email address, but
> I'm not too sure how to go about constructing a valid message/header, etc.
> Anyone done this, or something similar?  I was thinking of somehow writing a file,
> then sending a command to the shell from the mud queueing the mail for delivery,
> but I really am not sure how to do that..

Well the obvious way would be to write out the data to a file then do:

    system( "mail username at address <file.txt" );

This is probably a bad way to do it, but it would work at least.  The difficult
part is going to be ensuring that the address is valid (or are you not worried
about the occasional bounce?).

This would work quite well for systems requiring registration, as people could
request a name, include their email address, and get mailed a random password.
I believe MUSHES do something similar?

Anyway, after today I will be offline until 3rd/4th of January, so you'll all
be spared my emails for a while ;)

KaVir.