[MUD-Dev] Re: (no subject)

Mon Dec 22 17:43:48 CET 1997

Mike Sellers <mike at online-alchemy.com> wrote:
>At 08:54 PM 12/21/97 PST8PDT, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
>>I believe each individual should be able to control the circulation of
>>their own communication. =20
>
>This strikes me as a hopelessly idealistic statement.  What real control do
>any of us have over what we say in email or in another electronic setting?
>Can you stop me from quoting --or even misquoting-- what you've said here?

This is my professional attitude, not a hopless statement.

Can you stop me from killing you with a shotgun?  Democracy is a
hopeless idealistic system as well...

>In practical terms, I'd have to say I agree with this.  Email is of course
>incredibly insecure, readable by many people, unless it is encrypted.
>However, even with sniffers, the probability that any particular piece of
>your email being compromised is about the same as any of your physical mail
>being compromised. =20

Not really.  The main difference is:
1. you won't notice, you can't trace it
2. filtering can easily be automated

(I guess this is getting off topic..)

>communications, so that they can be viewed if needed.  Or at least, I would
>say that I favor logging all *in character* communications.  If you have an

To me, this is quite horrible... HORRIBLE! :-(

Ola.