[MUD-Dev] OT: Books

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 23 02:22:21 CET 1997

On 12 Dec 97 at 16:38, s001gmu at nova.wright.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Adam Wiggins wrote:
>
> > Frank Herbert's Dune.  See Tolkien.
>
> Loved the books, but it's difficult to extract too many ideas from a
> Sci-Fi book for a Fantasy theme.

Actually, I've always thought of "Dune" as from the fantasy genre as well
as the Star Wars sagas.  Both have that epic (questy?) feel so common to
heroic fantasy.  And "Dune" is positively medieval, both socially and
politically.

> Freidman has another good book, 'The Madness Season,' which has a very
> interesting take on the whole issue of Vampires, etc.  The ideas in the
> book don't directly translate to the way things work (tm) in our system,
> but her willingness to break from the mold got me thinking about
> alternatives that lead to our current system.

I liked Ann Rice's "Interview with a Vampire" series.  I think she strongly
broke from the mold.  I think that it's hard to remember since she now _is_
the mold.  I'm convinced the WOD environment would have evolved quite
differently had it not been for Rice's books.

--
Jon A. Lambert
"Everything that deceives may be said to enchant" - Plato