[MUD-Dev] FAQ: Personality Clash

Greg Munt greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 24 01:24:55 CET 1997

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Ling wrote:

> Personalities Summary
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Persons below are separated by a big line.  I chose to guess whether the
> introductions in my archive were still valid or not.  The following have
> been missed out (ie: bop me if you're reading this and you're not in this list):
>
> 	Greg Munt

[Big Bop]

I lurk too much. Partly due to being unemployed (maybe I should petition
BT(*) for free local calls), being overwhelmed by list traffic, and partly
due to the fact that I have been in New York for the past 3 or 4 months. Whilst
there, I got engaged to a Bahamian. Maybe my email address will swap a 'uk' for
a 'bs' soon (reasonably likely). At least local calls are free there. Grrr.

Found muds in early '94, in the form of a Tiny derivative, UglyMUG (one of
the few muds on JANET(**)'s PAD network at that time). Left six months later to
join the administration of a derivative of Ugly. 18 months after that, was
running it. 6 months after that, had been kicked out of the admin team, and
banned - now bitter, twisted, and forever opposed to democratic muds. The
so-called "Admin Wars" produced a satirical re-telling of Star Wars,
where I was reduced to a dribbling figure, shivering over a VIC-20 and a
2400 baud modem. (I kid you not.)

My 'real' experience has been working in COBOL/DB2 for British Steel.
Currently I'm trying to use that to get a job. Alternatively I might
have an opportunity as a Junior Games Programmer (with CodeMasters -
possibly UK-only company? *shrug*)! Who said mudding was a waste of time? :)

Since selling the VIC-20 (*koff*), I hacked up a mud from scratch, and
after six months produced "Frontiers". The website (at
http://www.uni-corn.demon.co.uk) was produced - not by me, I hasten to
add - in 6 days, and is infinitely better. It was around this time that I
began reading rec.games.mud.admin, and Martin Keegan wandered onto
Frontiers. (Read DejaNews for the results;)

Now, Frontiers has been closed down, and I have started anew. First
efforts are always worst efforts - probably - but I learnt a lot from it,
and continue to plod through. Current project is called "Ubiquity", and
is, I am quite proud to announce, at the design stage (Frontiers started
at the implementation stage *doh*). At the moment, it is nothing more
than a BBS with talker extensions, but I plan to later turn that into an
underlying command shell for a coordinate-based, all-singing, all-dancing
mud (yes, I'm still working that bit out). The command shell idea was
actually suggested (or I evolved it from one of his ideas, I can't
quite remember) by Nathan Yospe, on this list. This time I am going
slowly, working on the things I know about first, rather than tackling
everything at once, and achieving nothing (see Frontiers).

                      Age: 24.
                   Height: 6'8 (which may be irrelevant - though it's always
                           sort of relevant to people, when they meet me).
                    Likes: unconventional ideas.
                 Dislikes: the accepted norm (see DejaNews).
          Worst attribute: 50% of my time is spent planning; 5% of my
                           time is spent carrying out those plans.
           Best attribute: Selfless, emotional.
 Best thing about my life: I'm so in love...
Worst thing about my life: ...with someone who lives thousands of miles away.
            Claim to fame: I once met Ling's brother. He compared me to
                           John Lennon, which I still find amusing.
                Signature: this one will become semi-permanent, I
                           think. It almost illustrates my opinion of the world.
                           Ha - even my mother calls me arrogant, now.

There is a 99% chance that I hate and despise your miserable little existence.

(*) British Telecommunications charge 1UKP/hour for local phone calls. Scowl.

(**) The Joint Academic NETwork - now forms the *.ac.uk part of the Internet.