[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

Sun Dec 28 00:44:09 CET 1997

JC Lawrence <claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM> wrote:
>Which is one point I intend to make expressly plain: it will be
>technically impossible to remove data from the logs without removing
>_ALL_ logged data with that time stamp or earlier.  It just ain't
>gonna happen.  If you say or do something in the MUD that you don't
>want to exist, then don't do or say it.  Its that simple.

Let me be difficult.  I have this X-windows system, with this global
clipbuffer, pasting is attached to that button in the middle...

Which makes this a funny signature:
            # rm -rf $HOME

>  People time travelling cannot affect the past.  They are the
>proverbial flies on the wall -- they can only receive IO.

I guess you mean O.

>> Well, actually, I think I would play your game as a chess only
>> system...
>
>I'm not attempting to make a role playing game.  I'm merely attempting
>to make an interesting and amusing game which embodies certain
>mechanics which I find interesting.  I find RP essentially irrelevant
>in that task -- its just not something I see as a design criteria.

But I don't see logging as a RP problem, I see logging as a problems
for OOC communication (which has a tendency of happening everywhere,
two players standing on a sinking ship will neglect the fact that they
are drowning if the have found another follower of Gaia)

Ola.