[MUD-Dev] Time travel and Logging

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 30 14:55:10 CET 1997

On 29 Dec 97 at 11:09, Ola Fosheim Gr=B0stad wrote:
> "Jon A. Lambert" <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> >In some mud implementations it may be certainly necessary to log
> >conversation. For instance conversation may cause state changes in mud
> >objects (NPC reactions, auditory events to open doors, activation of
> >equipment, etc.).
>
> I don't think this is a very good argument. You can adjust the design.

Almost all code bases that I am aware of have mechanisms for logging
and snooping/spying.  I have encountered few running muds where this
information was made public upon signing on.  None of this suprised
me when I first started playing muds, since I had previously operated
a BBS which also had mechanisms for the sysop to monitor user activity.
OTOH, A quite a few friends were suprised by it and had no idea it
occurred.  I think the question is not whether or not it is done,
(at least it's certainly legal in my country) but whether or not users
are informed of the fact.  I think I will be informing them on the signon
screen.

--
Jon A. Lambert
"Everything that deceives may be said to enchant" - Plato