[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 30 17:13:05 CET 1997

On 29 Dec 97 at 16:58, JC Lawrence wrote:

>   To time-watch something, the player must first be able to occupy the
> viewpoint of that object.  ie You have to go back in time __as__
> <whatever> to see what happened to <whatever>.
>
>   In the general case this means that you have to either control or
> own the object that you are going to trace back.  Virtual objects,
> such as locations can also be used as long as the player occupies or
> owns that location.
>
>   Everything the player sees when time watching will be from the
> viewpoint of the time-watched object.  If that object did not see/hear
> XXX, then the time watcher won't either (underlieing technical
> limitation).

I assume if the object is mobile or living, the location will be mobile.
This would also mean I could enter non-living world objects, for instance a
rock.  What sort of sensory events would a non-living object receive? What
if I entered a branch on the Crytalline Tree?  Would I receive the weight
change events or breakage events.

>   Once time watching a player may shift viewpoints to any other object in
> the vicinity of the object he is time watching from (tight spatial
> limits).  The limits on being able to make that shift are the same: he
> must either own or occupy that object in present time, or during the time
> watched.

Interesting.  I let Bubba watch me pet mouse for a week.  A week
later I get the mouse back from Bubba.  Now owning the object, I could
travel back in time and view the Bubba's weekly activities from the
perspective of the mouse.  <grin>

--
Jon A. Lambert
"Everything that deceives may be said to enchant" - Plato