[MUD-Dev] Task Parsing

Nathan Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Tue Dec 30 18:33:41 CET 1997

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Greg Munt wrote:

:On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Stephen Zepp wrote:

:[Snip description of taking a task, such as 'harvest lumber', and
:breaking it down into atomic sub-tasks, which are then assigned to an
:actor/NPC]

:How do you handle limited memory resources? If the actor being assigned a
:task is in a part of the world that is currently swapped out to disk,
:what do you do? Do you have to bring it back into memory to enable the
:actor to process the assigned work? Or is the result of the work
:calculated, and the results applied, when that part of the world is
:brought back into memory? (I.e. it is not loaded into memory unless a
:player needs it) (I believe Nathan does something like this?)

:Of course, I'm assuming you have an in-memory db, supported by disk
:caching.

I think I'd better clear something up at this point. I don't do memory
management, on this scale. I swap blocks, and memory is allocated so as
to minimize scattered active memory, but the swapping mentioned above is
for processes (or, specifically threads).
--

"You? We can't take you," said the Dean, glaring at the Librarian.
"You don't know a thing about guerilla warfare." - Reaper Man,