[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Wed Dec 31 19:57:52 CET 1997

On Wed 31 Dec, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
> Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl> wrote:

> >But yes, if somebody creates a game and makes it available to others
> >they have every right to do with it as they please. However it makes
> >no difference who grants the power.=20

> Wait.  "every right to do with it as they please" ?? !!  If it was a
> single-user system with no external effects, yes... Or rather maybe...
> We are talking about multi-user communication systems.  I can't see
> how they can "have every right to do with it as they please", because
> "it" affects other people...

You are right. I should have said "they can do with the game as they
please, not with the players".

> >> Social interaction, should not be an admin issue.

> >Actually this should very much be an admin issue.  Players who take
> >their RL conflict into the game must be dealt with before they ruin
> >the fun for other players.

> Hmmm.  How would this ruin the fun for other players (those not
> involved) ?

By ruining the atmosphere. In games where cooperation is important by
splitting up the player base.  Because most players don't want to get
involved in the fight between other players, not even passively.

> Doesn't RL conflicts give MUDs a certain interesting edge?

Not for me.

> I'm all against administration/support as the main course of
> balancing a mud.  To me, that is a sign of a somewhat flawed
> design. At least in large scale systems.

Personally I think it is inevitable, but it should not be the first
recourse. Some children can't play nicely in the sandbox and require
somebody to watch over them.

> >> Dunno what you refer to here, but if it happens outside the system,
> >> then it should be of no concern from an admin POV.
> > The second case was of a group
> >of high level players forcing low level players  to do things they
> >would not normally do. They were smart enough not to force players
> >to do anything serious,  and did it in such a way  that complaints
> >were perceived by the admin as whining.

> Hehe, sounds like the army.

If that's what the army is like I'm very glad women are excused from
that 'honour'.

Marian
--=20
will there be loneliness ...