Its nice to be back

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Thu Feb 13 19:06:53 CET 1997

On 12/02/97 at 05:07 PM, Nathan Yospe <yospe at hawaii.edu> said: >   Well,
we've been down a good four months now, or so, haven't we?

Welcome to my humble abode of quaking REXX stripts and tremulous mailers.

>can't wait to see what you guys have cooked up in the downtime. As for my
>own project, I have gone full hybrid: a fully compiled, driver free MUD
>with a fully functional, partial compile, OO language framework, which,
>though clumsy, still looks a heck of a lot better than the two commercial
>equivalents I've used. (QuakeC and 4D internal)

Unghh.  Care to define, "full hybrid" and, "driver free"?

I've been looking thru PIKE recently as a possible stealable language
base.  Its not really what I want (I *really* like the fact that my
current effort is type-less), but it has a lot of promis.  If I really
start feeling sick enough I may even go as far as making the language a
shell ala MUQ, and then allow any number languages to be (optionally)
hooked in to the running server.  Its cute, its neat, and I'm not sure its
worth anything.

>...I've also extended
>polymorphism a bit... anything can be composed of any number of
>components, and any action that can be performed on any tangible can be
>attempted on any other tangible, likewise with locations and intangibles.

Err, single inheritance tree and/or lotsa friend functions?  Or just
attempted logical  resolution of any method on any object even if there is
not a direct definition for that method there?

>   Again, its nice to be back. I'll be posting regularly, again. I look
>forward to hearing from the rest of you soon.

The old lot are trickling back in at about one or two a day so far.
Unfortunately I don't have NG access at work now <sigh> so my recruiting
efforts are stymied.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net