Just a bit of musing

Wout Mertens Wout.Mertens at rug.ac.be
Thu Feb 27 14:39:36 CET 1997

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Nathan Yospe wrote:

> X - node
> O - object (character or item)
> D - description
> B - blocking description
> S - screening description
>
> D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D
> D B D D D D D D D O D D D D D
> D D X D O D D X D D D D X D D
> D D D D D D D D D S D D D D D
> D D B D D D S D D D D D D D D
> D D D D O D D D D D D D D D D
> D D D D D D D D D D O D D D D
> D D X D D S D X D D D D X D D
> D D B D D D D D D D D D D D D
> D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D
>
> A blocking description would block things "behind" it, using the 2D
> crystal latice matrix transforms to determin "behind"ness. Screening hides
> the things behind it to varying degrees. Multiple objects can occupy the
> same location, but have volume concerns. A "node" corresponds to a room,
> and could concievably have size variation, though that is not necessary to
> the design. The nodes portrayed here have scope 5x5.

Uhm... So a wall would be a line of B's ? and a window in that wall would
be an S? And how are you going to generate all those descriptions?
Standard terrain desc+ variations or something like that?

And what about tunnels and the like... This system would be something like
nethack with levels?

A system I would love would be something like Descent in world buildup.
Thing is, you need VRML or something like that to portray that.

Anyway,

Wout.