mud grammar (was Re: Just a bit of musing)

Sat Mar 15 09:39:08 CET 1997

:We're getting into messy territory here.  There are two base arguments:
:the "I want to know that PUSH will work on all buttons", and, "I want the
:command language's grammar to be logically consistant across the game."
:
:The first I think is valid, but is a social/administrative problem, not a
:technological problem.  I don't see MUD servers as despotic grammar
:police.  The tack I've taken is to make it fairly easy for someone coding
:a button to grab a set of applicable verbs and supporting operation code
:for their object.  If they choose to, great.  If they don't, leave it up
:to the administration to detect/repair/handle.

Insert big smiley here. :-) :-)

Actually the first could be a problem with the MUD server designer, in
insisting that all verbs be attached to objects, rather than being global
in the scenario.

If as many verbs as possible are global verbs, then it mostly falls out
for free.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA