mud grammar

claw at null.net claw at null.net
Wed Mar 19 07:55:43 CET 1997

On 17/03/97 at 06:52 PM, Nathan Yospe <yospe at hawaii.edu> said: >On
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 claw at null.net wrote:
>>On 12/03/97 at 09:14 AM, Nathan Yospe <yospe at hawaii.edu> said:

>>> I use ACE :wrappers, with a telnet implementation on top of
>>> them.
>>
>> I was hoping soneome here would use ACE.  I've been buried in
>> working thru OSE again to see how it compares to OpenClass and
>> (soon) RogueWave's STL.  ACE's lack of docs has been offputting.
>
>I've had some problems with OpenClass...

What version?  What problems?  To date I've found it damn near
flawless bug/caveat-wise for the collection classes, and a heck of a
lot faster than HP's (ancient) STL. I haven't had cause to touch their
thread or user interface classes yet.

> Not sure about RogueWave's
> STL, or what use an STL (is it an STL, as in the Standard Template
> Library implementation?) would be in threads/sockets...

STL doesn't really apply to the threaded end outside of having the
collection classes thread safe.  Currently I use OSE for all the
synchronisation and event management stuff.

>> What do you think of ACE?  Good?  Bad?
>
>Well, its a little large for practicality...

Yup.  It appeared to me pretty much an all or nothing proposition.

>I'm trying to figure out
>how to safely export the desired components...

I spent a couple hours or so working out cross-dependancies a while
back.  I'm not really sure its worth it.

>...it has a lot of very
>nice features... shared memory, semaphores, importation and
>exportation of ACE components...

True -- and actively supported, maintained, and fixed.  That has a
certain attraction.

>...so all ACE really ended up getting me was
>threads... which is going to be a tough nut to crack writing my own
>wrappers if I give up on ACE.

Every so often I think I'll just settle and get RW's STL and Threads++
libraries.  Just not yet -- contract here at Schwab is coming to an
end and I need to start hunting again.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net