Mixture

Furball K.L.Lo-94 at student.lut.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 17:15:55 CET 1997

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Adam Wiggins wrote:
[AdamW]
[The double > > bit is mine]

Is the line at the top removed automatically by the server?

> > (sp?) by implants though.  I'm thinking of displaying it to the player as
> > 'relative to their race average' with a little fudging (fudging with a
>
> Yeah...I always wonder what would happen if a mud did this...you can see
> the players that will log on and say, "Dammit!  I made five Kzin warriors,
> who are supposed to be really strong, but they all had 'average' strengths!!"
> *smirk*

Hmm... So should I say:  You can lift 500 lbs for 2 seconds, instead?
Then I'll get some people asking 'Is over the shoulder or just normal
picking up?'.  Just pray I get intelligent players (another plus when
playing on DartMUD).

> > The current plan atm is to create this universe (all 3 solar systems),
> > then keep working on it and making it more and more detailed, as
> > intersystem travel is uncommon, maybe even have each solar system on a
> > different server (then I could have really complex systems :).  Once the
> > player population reaches something sizeable to abuse, I was
> > hoping to stage lots of special one off creator run quests.  These little
> > quests lead up to one great big finale involving some glorious plot
> > endings.  And...then...I'd close the mud down and work on a sequel.
>
> Cool.  Sounds kind of MUX-ish, actually.

MUX?  I've only ever been to one and that was just a talker.  What are
they like in general?  Actually, it's a shame how all mud drivers tend to
be associated with a certain genre but I suppose mud drivers tend to be
written for a certain purpose in mind anyway.  I use my mud driver at home
as a replacement shell. :)  Come to think of it, LPC has been turned into
a scripting language.

> > In case you're wondering why the mud should close down, it's coz the
> > finale involves opening up a gateway to the rest of the galaxy and there's
> > zero chance of me even considering making up an entire galaxy.
>
> Hehe...well...I'm not too interested in muds with storylines...too hard
> to maintain given the tenutiveness of characters within the mud world
> (ie people logging on at different times, starting and stopping playing
> seemingly at random, etc)...which is why I don't like MUSHes a whole lot,
> even though in principle they sound a whole lot cooler than normal muds,
> to me.  I guess the answer is that I'm more interested in creating a world,
> than I am in creating a game.  A world evolves on its own, without any
> need for a storyline framework; the stuff that people do becomes the 'story'.
> Maybe I'm just lazy.  Actually, that's exactly it.

I've been creating this universe whenever I've got nothing else worth
doing for years now.  A mud is just another way for me to express my
universe but it is set in just one time period and 3 solar systems of a
galaxy, I'm sure I can reapply the same theme in a sequel (Sequel?  I'm
talking about sequels already?  Someone shoot me!).  Hmm... Maybe after
the mud should come the novels and then the range of action figures, bags,
screen savers, jackets, film rights... (hey, it happened to He-Man, from
action figures to movie.)

To address NathanY re: randomly generated wilderness bits for planets, I
do use that for the planets which are already in the game.  Had my mud
been open ended, I would also use a system generator like ACCRETE and
end up looking like Elite.  The reason I chose my limited scenario was
because I didn't want to be in the situation of making areas pop up
artificially.  I was intending to make full use of all the planets
available to me (around 30), afterall most muds are set on only one
planet!  (continent even)

About those terminal codes:  How come in tintin, I don't get scrollback
(if I slid the slider bar on the side of the window) but in tf I do?  This
is on a Mac.  Anyone torn them apart to see what codes they use?  I
personally use tintin coz it's smaller and I still use a client to switch
between several muds and for that handy speedwalking facility.  But I
don't use tintin's split function because I can't scroll back to see what
happened.  So I thought you guys might wanna keep this in mind, a recall
function like in tf would be extremely handy for players (it will, trust
me!).

Natural language parser.....  Summer research topic.

A-ha!  We've now got a subject heading which relates to the topic at hand!

Ciao!

  |				"Um." - Me
_O_O_  Ling - Freshwater fish