Resets and repops

S001GMU at nova.wright.edu S001GMU at nova.wright.edu
Mon Mar 31 10:09:22 CEST 1997

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 23:00:50 -0700 (MST)
From: Adam Wiggins <nightfall at inficad.com>

>> >Crystalline Tree?  Wazzat?
>[JCL:]
>> An old scenario, much like the Elven forest/Sceptre/Castle Krak
>> scenario we used to bounce ideas off.

>> -- Bubba is in the Crystalline Tree.
>>
>> -- Bubba has some sort of state changing effect which lessens his
>> weight such that the tree does not break.  Typical examples are: he is
>> holding on to a large number of helium balloons, he is enchanted to be
>> lighter, etc.
>>
>> -- Bubba now changes his weight value.  This could be by letting go of
>> the balloons, picking up another object, receiving a "heavy" spell,
>> having his "light" spell wear off, having one of the objects he is
>> carrying receive or lose a heavy/light spell, having one of the
>> objects he is carrying chage its weight for any other reason etc.
>>
>> -- Having the tree respond appropriately to Bubba's weight change.
>
>Heh...well...we have the obvious, ugly solution to this.  Every
>timer pulse (currently .25 seconds, I think) you get a set amount
>of gravity exerted on you, based on your gravity value (can be modified
>by both spells and your current environment, right now everyplace on the
>mud is 9.8 m/s^2) and your 'carried' weight, as well as any connection
>node you have attached (namely, ropes and such...could be magical in
>nature however).

Have to agree with J.C's response to this letter.  It seems to make more sense
to have the whole situation "re-figgured" when Bubba's weight changes.  Why do
constant recalculations of a static situation?  just do the calculation when
things change.

>> >After rebooting both my code machine and my debug machine a dozen
>> >times a day, it's somewhat refreshing to come home and type 'uptime'
>> >on my Linux machine and see 104 days.
>>
>> Shoot.  I reboot OS/2 no more than once a fortnight or so, and then
>> usually because I've coded something stupid.
>
>Well, I could deal with this.  What boggles me is why I have to reboot
>my code machine just because an array on my remote debug machine went
>slightly out of bounds.  The program isn't even _running_ on that machine,
>for crying out loud!  What, does MSVC Monitor send a message, "Hi, I'm
>crashing now, so why don't you follow suit"?!

We are Microsoft of Borg, You will be Assimilated.  Resistance is futile.

>Oh yeah, we got MS Visual C++ 5.0 in the mail the other day.  Not only
>does our project not compile (they decided to change a few key things in
>the way that templates work), but there's a fuckin web brouser built into
>the development enviroment!  ARRRGGHHH!!  I'm sticking with 4.2, needless
>to say.  I think Microsoft's plan is that by the year 2000 every piece of
>software will just be a web brower with a few specialty components.

Actually, I believe that IS there stated purpose.  maybe on a slightly
different time frame (by 1998, not 2k.  :).  Thier next OS release is supposed
to make yer machine look like a web page, with the WWW being an extension of
your machine.  It actually does kinda make some sense, but I still prefer my
Linux box with the command line interface.  Or X if I feel like loading it up
that day.  *grin*

-Greg