[MUD-Dev] Re: Multi-threaded mudding (was a flamefest)

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Thu May 1 22:46:34 CEST 1997

At 10:04 PM 5/1/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>Based on my definition of "event-driven", Cold would NOT classify.
>It does have a 'dispatcher' which simulates time-slicing,
>yet it doesn't dispatch events.  It only partially approaches this at the
>network level only.

Um, I disagree. Cold does indeed dispatch events. The evnts are hard coded
into the system and are as follows:
(1) packet arrival
(2) heartbeat
(3) connection
(4) conenction close

There may be a few mreo im forgettting. in each case the event is
dispatched in teh form of a method call to an object.

If thsi doesnt fit your def of "event driven" then I tyhink yer beign way
too selective in teh application of this term.

The Amiga's Intuition was clearly event driven, yet all it did was call c
callback functions.

JK