[MUD-Dev] Re: Multi-threaded mudding (was a flamefest)

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Fri May 2 17:58:24 CEST 1997

At 04:38 PM 5/2/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>In <3.0.32.19970501203414.00b37af8 at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 05/01/97
>   at 08:32 PM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:
>
>>Whelpers, ColdC is an object opriented event driven semi-tjhreaded
>>(applciation threads) system...
>
>While technically accurate, its really a questionable point.  ColdX's
>definition of envets are tightly limited to connection and I/O state
>changes.  It actually has no real concept of an internally generated
>event, or even an event model as regards internal state changes for
>the DB.  It's only events center on what happens on its network ports.

I think we can debate this one forever... but again, Ild suggest comapring
it to Solaris or Amiga's Intuition. All events are ultimately IO related,
thats is the defintion of event driven code-- that it reactes to IO ratehr
then polling IO when it is ready to and then waiting o na response.

I think to make your poitn vaild you need to explain what the differnece
between an "internal event" and a message pass is, in your model. I see no
practical difference.  In my model and in the term event driven as I
understand it to be commonly used, the only difference is that the call
coems from the OS... which is to say it happens inresponse to IO (or the
clock, which is aslo a form of IO really.)

JK