[MUD-Dev] Re: Multi-threaded mudding (was a flamefest)

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Fri May 2 21:43:13 CEST 1997

On 02/05/97 at 08:33 PM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said: >At
08:08 PM 5/2/97 PST8PDT, coder at null.net wrote:

>>I model these animations as events.  A mobile moves his next step by
>>having a closing event log a new event to step him forward some time in
>>the future.

>Pardon me, but it soudns like syntactic sugar on top of a timer event.

>I just don't see it as beign paradigmaticly really all that different
>from animating off of a generic call back timer.  I have sucha  thing in
>my Cold core runnign off the heartbeat,as  I suspect virtually every Cold
>core does.

The difference here, and yes it could be considered mere semantics, is
that I have no such thing as aheart beat (I absolutely refuse to ever have
anything similar to a heartbeat).  The rest is fairly similar to a generic
call back timer except that it is handled internally to the server so
there is no callback per se -- an arguably specious distinction.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net