[MUD-Dev] Re: Multi-threaded mudding (was a flamefest)

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sat May 3 21:39:02 CEST 1997

At 08:15 AM 5/3/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>Oh, and to respond something else, Cold is not threaded yet, except for
>the cooperative multitasking supported by interpreter itself.

Hey Miro, we've had this debate before, but for everyone elses benefit....

Just as cooperative-multitaskign is still multi-tasking, albiet a limited
form, so IMO is "cooperative-threading" still threading.  The important
thing here is that when a thread chooses to hand its control off through
the pause() mechanism, its entire context is saved for later continuence.
This is why it is threading by the fundemental definition of threading.

That its not pre-emptive is another issue. An annoying one maybe, but
another one.  :)

JK