[MUD-Dev] Re: Client<->mud compression protocol

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Fri May 9 10:20:10 CEST 1997

At 08:37 AM 5/9/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
> one of the things i dinked around with a couple summers ago
>>(MudX II) was the  concept of a multi-process mud. at the outset it was
>>little more than having  an external server fork a copy of itself upon a
>>connection, open a unix socket  to the mud, etc.etc.etc.

No nbo no, bad bad bad.

You have also described the primary reason Dark Sun Online currently only
supports 160 players. We TOLD them not to do this, they wouldn't listen,
and ended up with a crippled product.

Even in the best Unix full context switches are expensive.  Use threading
its a hell of alot cheaper.