(fwd) Re: Issues from the digests and Wout's list

Oliver Jowett oliver at sa-search.massey.ac.nz
Sat May 10 17:40:20 CEST 1997

On Fri, 9 May 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

> In <9705071455.7z9i at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA>, on 05/07/97
>    at 08:00 PM, cg at ami-cg.graysage.edmonton.ab.ca (Chris Gray) said:
>
> >...I guess
> >its your choice as to whether or not the result is worth all that
> >effort. For me, its not. I will also point out that as a player, I'm
> >not at all sure I would be comfortable with such suspended commands
> >hanging around like that - I would hope there would be a way to tell
> >the system to never ask me questions like that, and to just fail
> >commands that fail.
>
> Yup, thus I currently have the <ENTER> abort any incompleat commands,
> with a clear visual signal on the screen that there is an incompleat
> command.

You might want to avoid using enter for this. I use enter as a 'redraw my
current state' no-op, for when my connection starts lagging or if the
terminal emulation goes ape - I don't know if others also do this, but
having (no real input) actually change the state of your connection seems
a bit counter-intuitive to me. Systems that close connection if you hit
enter at the login screen bug me for this reason.

Oliver