[MUD-Dev] Introduction

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lut.ac.uk
Mon May 12 02:54:54 CEST 1997

On Sun, 11 May 1997, Dan Root wrote:

> cg at ami-cg.graysage.edmonton.ab.ca (Chris Gray) writes:
>
> > :A small footprint in memory (under 300k for the binary, plus object
> > :and attribute caches for a total on the order of 1.5M resident in a
> > :medium sized database).
> >
> > MUDServ 		  182888 ----rwed 03-May-97 19:41:28

That looks like my dear old Amiga's list command output.  Don't forget
programs on the Amiga are teenie weenie, port it to something else and
it'll mushroom.  I made a paint program in C and it compiled to 5k of
code.  Hey, Chris, ever tried putting linux on an Amiga?

> Just out of curiosity, what sort of system type is this?  (I don't
> recognize the directory listing style)

See above.

> The 300k goal wasn't for the database itself, but for the amount of
> code.  I was disgusted when I discovered that TinyMUCK was over 1.2M
> of code.  300k is high itself.  I'm honestly hoping for around
> 175-200k.  The database itself is likely going to be huge. :)

Hmm... Strange you guys talk about this sort of stuff.  Personally, I
don't care coz I think my server will take up less space than an LP
therefore it's small. :)

[Rest of the stuff about languages and stuff]

Whoosh!  Straight over my head!

I may as well drop in my extremely vague aims:

Majority of mud specific stuff coded into the server itself, eg: combat,
standard object, room, people, elastic bands.

Attachment of code to any object.

Disk based.

*Portable*

I don't have a site to run it on or anything like that, I'm running off on
a shoestring budget and I expect to move around between various boxes
(linux kind, not cardboard).

  |    Ling				"Mental slavery,
_O_O_  Freshwater fish since 1976	 set my spirit free"