[MUD-Dev] Re: Administrative notes

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 13 00:22:05 CEST 1997

> From: Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl>
> On Sun 11 May, Todd Lair wrote:
> > One possible solution would be to force healers to first assume the
> > injuries of other players and then attempt to heal themselves; that is
> > they would only be able to heal themselves.  This involves some risk, but
> > a careful player could be absolved of any substantial risk.
>
> There is no need to force the -healer- to take any risk. If the ability
> is rare and draining that's a way to deter players from being a healer.
> Also, without things to heal there is little point in being a healer.

I use this approach with my healer profession.  A healer takes the damage
upon themselves while healing, although to a lesser extent.  The more-skilled
the healer, the lower % of damage they incur while healing.
There are 2 other professions that 'engage' in healing and use different
methods to effect it.

> If you want to follow this line of reasoning you must be prepared to
> rethink the very basic premises of the game. Typically it is: create
> a variety of monsters to fight and minimise the time spend between
> fights to avoid players becoming too bored. But make the fight itself
> challenging enough to attract players for the adrenaline rush. Also
> don't bother players with inconveniences (too much) and put in enough
> instruments of mayhem to placate those who want to explore and tinker
> rather than kill anything that moves. As they become more successfull
> they will be able to kill bigger monsters and explore new areas and
> tinker with new skills.
> A roleplaying game starts with: A player assumes a character in a
> fantasy (or otherwise) setting and must act out the behaviour of
> that character through the events the game and the other players
> put her through.

Exactly.  A Roleplayer, according to my twisted view, might create a
warrior that had a very weak strength and may also select background
options that would have a severe impact on their combat
effectiveness (cowardice, epilepsy, etc.).  A Rollplayer *boggles* at this
concept.  Many of todays muds preclude such a character from "developing"
in any significant way.   Character power or perfection seems to be the
only goals.  An entire rethink of game systems is definately in order.

JL