[MUD-Dev] Re: Introduction (Marian)

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Tue May 13 20:57:02 CEST 1997

At 07:19 PM 5/13/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:

>To quote one of my favorite authors: There is no one true way.
>You play the game for developing its intricacies, and to explore
>what works and what doesn't. I'm something of a mix of an actress
>and a gossip when I'm playing. Yet others enjoy the attempt of winning
>the game (i.e. becoming the most powerfull). There's room for all of
>this in a game if it's properly designed.

I agreed til you hit the alst senatnce.  Thsi is the holey grail of design,
but i do NOt believe it is reacahble. ALL my  experience in playing pen and
paper says game-oriented-players and roleplayers are fundementally at odds
with each other and cannot exist for long within the same game.  My past
years experience with online suggests that the vast numebrs in an online
game actually EXACERBATE the problem.

This gets into my earlier point "define your game".

The only way Ive EVER seen it possible to mix these typoes successfully is
to not really mix them, but push them to their own seperate areas of the VR
world.