[MUD-Dev] Re: Disk v. Mem

Wed May 14 20:56:31 CEST 1997

[Jeff K:]
:Which is why you use write-through caching for output, and cache obejcst in
:memory for input.

Er, no. At least I don't, and I don't think Chris L. does either. An NPC
will be dirtying at least its own record every time it moves. So will a
player. Often lots more. Have 100 NPC's active and 30 players. That could
easily be over 100 dirtied db entries per second. If they are at random
places in the db, that is beyond what a disk drive can do in writes. So,
you end up using non-write-through with occasional flushes in order to
create usable backups. Hmm. I recall Chris L. saying he doesn't do that,
so what is your disk I/O like, Chris?

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA