Skills

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lut.ac.uk
Fri May 16 18:49:33 CEST 1997

Everything Adam said is pretty much what I wanted to say (oi, stop that,
still less typing to do).

Anyway, skill advancement itself.  I have it so when you use a skill, it
advances (will change to incorporate comments, blah, blah, blah).  When
the character uses the skill, if the character passes, she learns a fixed
amount (small, like 1).  If she fails, she learns:

	target / difference between target and skill

This means that she would not learn a lot if she was trying something
*really* hard and would usually learn something when the difficulty is
just above her abilities.  What do you think?  Any comments?  There's also
the freak occurance of learning 1000 points but that's really rare and I
put an artificial cutoff for 50 points.

This learning amount is the raw value, before being processed by the
current skill value (ie: curve it), racial modifiers and being taught then
distributing the points throughout the tree/matrix/group.

The other school of thought is one point for failing and more for
succeeding and various other combinations.

  |    Ling				"Mental slavery,
_O_O_  Freshwater fish since 1976	 set my spirit free"