[MUD-Dev] Languages

Fri May 16 21:41:46 CEST 1997

[John L:]
:			My only disagreement is with using the curly
:brackets to distinguish code blocks.  I think you score some good
:points with better compiler parsing and debugging.
:However, I think they are more convenient to type, easier to remember
:and distinguish themselves better than 'fi', 'od', 'esac', etc.
::-)

Ah, but you have to count using the shift key in the convenience of
braces versus short reserved words! :-)

When I was designing a language like this a few years back, a friend
commented that I really shouldn't be using 'od' to end 'for' and
'while' loops. Algol68 does that because it really only has one loop
construct, and only the 'do' and 'od' are required. So, he said I
should be using 'rof' and 'elihw'. Maybe, but after I spoke 'elihw' to
him for a couple of weeks he relented!

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA