[MUD-Dev] Re: Administrative notes

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sun May 18 19:44:58 CEST 1997

At 07:14 PM 5/18/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>of RP - "Do 'traditional' computer RPGs such as nethack, Moria, or even
>the modern-day pop hit Diablo count as RPGs?"  The answer is, by my
>definition - not really.

100% agreement CRPG is a misnomer.  Computers are incapable of roleplay and
roleplay cannot exist as a solo activity, you need other characters to
truel;y interract with.

OLRPGs (online RPGs) brign this back by putting many human controlled
characters in the same world to interract with each other. MUDs are basicly
textual OLRPGs as far as Im concerned.

As a side note, Duiablo is nothing mreo IMo thena  very pretty version fo
the Gauntlet arcade game for inetrnet play.

JK

>So, I would have to work
>> quite hard in an RP MUD, just in order to stay in character. Having
>> never actually tried it, I don't know whether I would find it fun or
>> not. I think it would have to be a fairly forgiving environment.
>
>Well, I have to agree with your setiment if not your reasoning.  I
>don't play a lot of pure RP (that is, Tiny-based) muds mostly because I
>just find it to be too much work.

This I suppsoe is what differentiates the roleplayer at heart. T opthe
roleplayer ist not work, or at least no any mroe work then playign a game
of baseball or all sorts of other games we play.  Its all enjoyable and
relaxing eventhough i tis active..

Remember the idea that relaxation is somehow a passive thing really is a
20th c. phenomenon with the onset of media such as film and TV...

>> With playing me in the game, I don't think I would be too bothered by
>> the game imposing a few character constraints on me,

A side note. TIn thee pen and paper game Villains and Vigilantes you played
an alternate-unvierse you. Stats wer enot rolled but assigned based your
judge's perceptio nof your abilities, then you rolled ona  chart to find
out how you becamse a super hero and what your pwoers were...

JK