[MUD-Dev] Re: Administrative notes

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 20 00:19:24 CEST 1997

> From: Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com>
>
> >consider a mode of fighting that is 'engage' instead of 'kill'.
> >call it what you like, but the point is that once the opponent's
> >health has reached a low percentage of his original, he lapses
> >into a nice 1-minute bout of unconsciousness, during which
> >time he can be looted. :-)  of course, if you deal too much in
> >the way of damage...woops, you beat him to death.
>
> The most common hosue rule in pen and paper AD&D in sunciousness.  The way
> that works is that 0 is unconcious. Once unconcious you lose 1 point per
> round until a friend binds your wounds, or you hit -10 at which point you die.
>
> Nice thing abt this is that it gives a STRONG incentive to band together
> for safety.

I use the following method. When a character/NPC reaches 0 hit points as a
result of concussion damage, they lapse into unconsciousness.  When they reach
a negative hp value equal to their constitution score they die.
Its important to finish off a kill manually using this method, unless they
are bleeding in which case they will be finished eventually.

A character may also reach immediate unconsciousness or immediate death
through a critical hit.  I also use stuns in combat (different from d&d
stuns)  A certain threshold of stuns may put a character into unconsciousness
even though they still have quite a few hps.

JL