[MUD-Dev] RP thesis...

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Tue May 20 13:05:32 CEST 1997

In <Pine.LNX.3.96.970518090712.185C-100000 at mpc.dyn.ml.org>, on
05/18/97
   at 09:07 AM, Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> said:

>A troll might like to chow down on a goat's carcass after he biffs it
>over the head, but a human would almost certainly cut it up and cook
>it first. This is an important distinction. Different races will have
>to eat slightly different things.

Don't forget that cooked food is significantly less nourishing than
uncooked.  As a friend once put it, "All cooking does is make food
more dead."  There's a lot to be said for going au naturale, and I'd
expect your players to notice that.

>We have both normal rooms, and our own mappable virtual room areas,
>you can create a map such as:

>XXXXXXXXXX	X = impassable terrain
>**########	* = swamp
>*######@##	# = grassland
>XXXXXXXXXX	@ = a lake

>and set a scale for each room - this map would be converted into
>normal rooms with randomly set sizes, descriptions, weather suited to
>the area, and so forth.

The problem with virtual rooms, which can be handled is when players
make a change to a virtual room which requires them to become
permanent, or the notice something in a virtual room and refer to it
later expecting it to be permanent.

eg:

  You are in a forest...(desc of forest)
  > cut blaze on tree
  You cut your sigil on a nearby tree.

or:

  You are in a forest...yada yada something about an oak tree.
  ...much later...
  > say "Just go east in the forest until you see the Oak tree,
  and then head west..."

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com