[MUD-Dev] RP thesis...

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Tue May 20 18:12:56 CEST 1997

In <199705190314.UAA29203 at user2.inficad.com>, on 05/18/97
   at 08:19 PM, Adam Wiggins <nightfall at inficad.com> said:

>Oh, no kidding!  How about the difference between Mandarin and other
>dialects of Chinese?  Or how about the difference between Amercian
>english and British english after a pithy 221 years - I can barely
>understand those British freaks sometimes! *duck*

Try 'strine some time then (Australian slang), with an even shorter
divergent history.  It is a whole new world out there.

>Obviously this is highly simplified, but this is a great candidate
>for the lifepath stuff.  Ie, "Your father was a travelling merchant,
>trading mainly along the route between the dwarven kingdom and the
>human cities." would give you a nice knowledge of dwarven.

If I judged that way (by my lineage and familial activities) I should
be able to speak English, American, French, Italian, Swiss-German,
German, Dutch, Iranian, Spanish, Basque, and Turkish.  Truth to tell a
large part of my extended family *does* speak all that that lot
fluently and with several other languages besides.  Equally truth to
tell, I come in there for a paltry couple.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com