[MUD-Dev] RP thesis...

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed May 21 13:03:20 CEST 1997

Matt Chatterley wrote:

> Hmm. It's only a tad !PC, since larger amounts of drink should start to
> have negative side effect (upto alchohol poisoning for those that attempt
> to drink 50 double-gins, or somesuch, to heal lots).

There was a small company (whose name eludes me) which created a nice
little series of tables and charts and whatnot for various drinking
activities; the title of the module, intended for any RPG, was 'The
Compleat Tavern'. I have a copy of this floating around somewhere, but I
need to roll perception + search at diff 8 to find it. ;)

This may have been a local thing, as I know a lot of the best
supplements I found were from a small company in Maryland, and many
excellent adventures were from the now-defunct Judges Guild. However, if
anyone out there has a copy of this handy, it may be useful to go over
it in a little detail; if I remember right, it had a sort of slingshot
effect, where the table operated in a fashion similar to a sine wave. As
your alcohol intake increased, it was cross-referenced with a table that
located effects to stats, which started by going up, and then nosedived
into some rather severe penalties. Rather than saying 'for each drink',
it had a VERY complex formula which dealt with the strength of the
alcohol, the percentage of the drink that was alcoholic, the player's
body weight, the player's race, and the time spent consuming it. This
formula was completely unusable in a tabletop setting, but would work
quite well in a computer-moderated one. I'll see if I can dig it out.