[MUD-Dev] Languages

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Fri May 23 04:56:42 CEST 1997

On Thu, 22 May 1997 19:23:19 PST8PDT, Ben Greear
<greear at pollux.cs.uga.edu> wrote:

>Also, while you can do it all in c, classes and member functions,
>especially destructors and constructors are nice shorthand.

Yes, but hey... it takes very little thought and effort to build
something similar in C. Most of my structures carry with them the two
global functions 'makeX' and 'killX' that take care of all the init and
destroy requirements.

>I'm curious about some things.  What exactly makes c++ slower?  Is it
>more class calls because most ppl make accessing class data a function
>call?  Perhaps inheritance mapping of some sort?  I head that a c++
>compiler basically just translates the code into c before compile anyway..

The problem I see in projects built using proper OOP in C++ is that the
same data is validated over... and over... and over... and over...
because none of the objects can make any assumptions about the others,
so they can't ever take for granted that someone else has validated the
data. If they did, they'd break the whole reuse thing.

>> The benefits of C++ are in code reuse, but code reuse is not always an
>> appropriate thing, and you have to have some C++ code to reuse first.
>
>I concur.  And to be honest, the only code I reuse is my own, but perhaps
>if I was willing to wade through more manuals, and more libs were free
>(and came w/a good manual) I'd use other ppls.  Fortunately 4 yrs of
>school have yielded several good classes to work with :)

My time in school yielded very little applicable to much more than
mainframe COBOL. The fast and loose style of C fits me; I get to do all
the dirty work myself, because I *have* to, and that keeps me
interested. ;)

 I am here to grind your eyes harder into the miasmic bile of life; to
 show you the truth and the beauty in the whisper of steel on silk and
 the crimson scent of blood as it rises to meet the caress of a blade.