[MUD-Dev] Languages

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sat May 24 00:13:15 CEST 1997

At 10:51 PM 5/23/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>[Ben G:]
>
>:I'm curious about some things.  What exactly makes c++ slower?  Is it
>:more class calls because most ppl make accessing class data a function
>:call?	Perhaps inheritance mapping of some sort?  I head that a c++
>:compiler basically just translates the code into c before compile anyway..
>
>The larger number of function calls (at the implementation level) is one
>of the biggest slow-downs, I think.

Remember that C++ gives you multiple ways to do inlines.

Infact there is NO reason why C++ shoudl have ANY more voerhead then C IF
youvundertsnad what the compiler is doing and code to it correctly.

Typicly the reason C++ code ends up slower is due to mis-coding of
constructors by peopel who do NOT understand whats going on underneath.

JK