[MUD-Dev] Languages

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sat May 24 18:17:42 CEST 1997

At 04:53 PM 5/24/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:

>>and if you get the design wrong ya can't easily hack around it,
>>you need to revisit your design.
>
>Which greatly impacts the time needed for the project...

Yes it does... it makes it SHORTER

Planning time ALWAYS pays off inm your schedule. Im workign on a very tight
schedule rigth now.. its a 7 month project. I looedk 'em in teh eye and
told 'em "the ONLY way you will get thsi in 7 months is if for the FRIRST
month ALL I do is design."

There's an old adage in file production that applies just as easily to
progrmaming..

Every dollar spent in preproduction (design) is worth 10 dollars spent  in
production (coding).
Every dollar spent in  productio n(coding) is worth ten dollars in
post-production (bug fixes.)

Thast the real world of real engineering.

>I REALLY hate that idea. I'm an artist. Not a good one, but I am an
>artist. And as any artist will tell you, you will NOT learn how to draw
>if you throw a failure in the trash.

Any good artist will tel lyou you dont just sit down and start working, you
plan, yopu sketch, you design.

I've had some art classes too.