[MUD-Dev] Languages

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sat May 24 20:31:34 CEST 1997

On Sat, 24 May 1997 11:38:11 PST8PDT, clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

>In <338c1fce.16025866 at relay.mnsinc.com>, on 05/23/97
>   at 09:48 AM, caliban at darklock.com (Caliban Tiresias Darklock) said:
>
>>The problem I see in projects built using proper OOP in C++ is that
>>the same data is validated over... and over... and over... and
>>over... because none of the objects can make any assumptions about
>>the others, so they can't ever take for granted that someone else has
>>validated the data. If they did, they'd break the whole reuse thing.
>
>Actually that's what I've been doing with stratight C and procedural
>programming for years.  I've always been a big fan of heavy sanity
>checking.  Then OOP came along and made it de rigeuer.

I do heavy sanity checking on input. Once. Then I know it's sane. It's
really not likely to go apeshit over the course of the program.

 I am here to grind your eyes harder into the miasmic bile of life; to
 show you the truth and the beauty in the whisper of steel on silk and
 the crimson scent of blood as it rises to meet the caress of a blade.