[MUD-Dev] Languages

Nathan Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Sat May 24 22:41:29 CEST 1997

On Sat, 24 May 1997, Jeff Kesselman wrote:

:>I REALLY hate that idea. I'm an artist. Not a good one, but I am an
:>artist. And as any artist will tell you, you will NOT learn how to draw
:>if you throw a failure in the trash.
:
:Any good artist will tel lyou you dont just sit down and start working, you
:plan, yopu sketch, you design.
:
:I've had some art classes too.

Speaking as someone who has been paid for art (well, humor, more), you
design, throw on the top of the trashbin, design... ad nauseum, and then
you get the perfect angle and inflection... then you draw it again, with
the same look, and try to ink it... inks too thick, needs to be lighter...
copy the working pencil again, ink it... ad nauseum. And then, if its for
a Sunday (I do a comic strip, if you haven't caught on), you start in with
the colors. *sigh* At least the ink only takes maybe three tries, and the
color at most two. The pencil takes anywhere from 5 to 20 tries, or more.
You never erase with professional art. You also never start on the canvas.
And you throw a lot of failures in the trash. (OK, OK, erasings OK, so
long as you understand that _specific_ copy is headed for the trash can.)

  /_  / / ) /_  /_) / ) /| /| / /\            First Light of a Nova Dawn
 /   / / \ /_  /_) / \ /-|/ |/ /_/            Final Night of a World Gone
Nathan F. Yospe - University of Hawaii Dept of Physics - yospe at hawaii.edu