[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sun May 25 12:33:50 CEST 1997

At 10:28 AM 5/25/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>>I see here that you appear to think I'm just saying 'give them stuff'...
>
>I'm speaking more from the standpoint of skillsets, where (to use D&D
>style terms) a 1st level character is completely outclassed by 12th
>level characters. However, a 10th or 11th level character will only be
>at a minor disadvantage; he can maintain the same associations with less
>difficulty, and potentially keep several of his old contacts. If he's
>anything like most players, he's now unused to being such a low level.
>He'll be less effective, have less fun, and be easily discouraged from
>continued play.

Hrm...  the assumptio nhere is that the "goal" is to reach high level.
Thats soemthing I disagree with strongly. The "leveling" phenomenon is very
very bad IMO, it comrpesses your game to a game of high-levels and people
just burning time to GET to high levels.

In my current projectw e are purposefully designing it so tehre are
inetrsting things for ALL levels to do, and "maxing" will be EXTREMELY
difficult.  Our goal is to encourage the expereinced character to have at
least 3 characters at any time, one "high" one "moid" and one "low", so
that they can particpate in teh entire game.

This obviates most of the problems you lsited.,

In short I think you are trying to kludge around a basic design problem ibn
most OLRPGs...

JK