[MUD-Dev] Starting characters (was: Alright...)

Jamie Norrish jamie at sans.vuw.ac.nz
Sun May 25 19:00:51 CEST 1997

Hmph, that blank post wasn't my fault. :)

What I wrote was that, from a role-playing point of view, having
mechanics get in the way of what I want to achieve. If my character
conception is of an experienced soldier, then I expect the system to
fit that. But there aren't many games where the admins will allow this
sort of thing - "play balance" they say, or "we're afraid of
munchkins". To my mind, neither of those reasons are sufficient - I
was very annoyed on Armageddon that I could not play an older
character from the very start.

You see, in a role-playing game, where character is important and the
mechanics are good only to the extent that they don't get in the way,
there is no need for play balance, and no real need to fear munchkins
(who would find such a game boring, I am sure). Just because the
system says I am very good at building houses, for example, doesn't
mean that I can't play a master builder right from the outset.

End rant. And this had better get through.

Jamie