[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

Mon May 26 19:29:06 CEST 1997

[Chris L:]

:Yup, this is why I'm not making the multiple bodies etc etc etc yada
:yada a fundamental part of the initial approach to the game.  I intend
:for the game to be initially playable from a single-character
:hack'n'slash monty haul PoV.  All the rest comes in as the players
:find out that that bumph is but surface dressing on the real meat and
:feature set of the game.

Sounds good. Its tough to have a game that will keep the attention of
both beginners and pros. Hopefully you've found a way to do it.

[Fortress Fract, Blue Grass Path]

I read your description of those with a mixture of fascination and
horror. Fascination from the implementor part of me, and horror from the
potential player part of me. However, the fact that so many players went
after the puzzles proves you were doing good!

:  1) The game kills you.  Do something stupid like step the wrong way
:into quick sand and drown.

[Little penalty for the explorer.]

:  2) You kill yourself.  Do somthing stupid like pick on the wrong
:player/mobile and get yourself slaughtered.

[Serious penalty for the deliberately dumb.]

That sounds right to me. I don't like getting killed randomly (I'm an
explorer - I like to see what's out there), but getting killed by my
own deliberate risk-taking I don't mind.

:		     Get a second body, park is somewhere safe and just
:ignore it to have semi-guaranteed immortality.

Yes, that'll work. Then people will ask why the system doesn't do it
for you automatically.

:				   I'm not fond of the lego-class
:stuff, and so tend to ignore that.

Laugh! It turns out that in the last couple of years I've aquired Lego
as a hobby. There is an 8 foot Lego skyscraper just behing me as I type.
It went like this: there is a 3-D maze in my AmigaMUD scenario. I wanted
it to be topologically consistent, etc., and was having trouble doing that
to my satisfaction on paper. Someone suggested I buy some Lego bricks and
build it, so I did. It worked out pretty good, too. Later, for another
MUD system, I coded a fairly large castle. A year or so later it occurred
to me to try to build that in Lego, too. Well, that would take a *lot*
of bricks, so I've been collecting, and sort-of got hooked on the way.

See newsgroup rec.toys.lego for lots of overgrown kids.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA